Serves: 2 Level: Easy
Cooking time: 15 min preparation; 15 min in the oven
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini, partially peeled and diced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14 oz.)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 slices of wholewheat bread (1cm or 0,4 inch thick)
- 2 slices Mozzarella cheese (or shredded Mozzarella)
- Heat a deep, large skillet or sauté pan on medium. Slowly warm olive oil. Add onion, garlic, carrot and zucchini. Cover and cook for a 5 minutes at medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir well. Cover the plan and allow mixture to simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven at 380° F.
- (Slightly) Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil and place the slices on an oven pan
- Place mixture on the bread and add mozzarella cheese on the top
- Cook for 15 min in the oven at 380° F.
Serving suggestion: green salad on the side.
Buon Apetito !