Serves: 2-3 Level: Easy
- 4-5 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 chopped Large Red Onion
- 1 Pound chopped Spinach (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup white Balsamique Rice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dry Mint
- 1/2 squeezed Lemon
- 1 Slice Feta cheese per person
- Cook chopped red onion with olive oil in a large stove pot. Medium-high heat until the onions start to be brown.
- Add chopped spinach (still frozen) and stir. Cook at medium heat for 5-7 min.
- Pour water and stir.
- Add rice, salt, pepper and mint. Stir well and cover.
- Cook for 15-20 min at Low-medium heat. Stir regularly to avoid burning or sticking at the bottom.
Serve hot, sprinkle with lemon juice and with a slice of Feta cheese.
History and Inspiration…
This recipe means literally “spinach & rice” in Greek. This is a common main dish in Greece. This is usually serves in winter – although the combination of mint, lemon and Feta cheese makes it so fresh that you will want to eat all year long… You can also serve it with a traditional Greek cheese pie, named Tiropita. We took this recipe from Dimitra who spent her whole life in Greece. She lives now in Athens and continues to make Spanakorizo in winter.